Thursday 31 March 2011

A little bit of colour


Today I decided to try out what would happen when projecting different colours onto different coloured material. Predictably, the only difference was a tint in the clothing, although I did learn that the camera picks up images much better on black material, but it means I will never be able to project certain levels of white onto the black material. Black material is very good for good black levels though, but bad for showing high levels of white. I don't think the different colours will be much as I can simulate the same levels through the projector anyway, and having everything projected onto it being tinted is a very big limitation.




Most projection mapping projects tend only use still objects like cars or buildings. In fact, all of the projection mapping I have seen will only use a still object. I imagine this is because it's so much harder to go to such an impressive level of detail on a moving object, since you'd have to make sure the object lines up perfectly in every single frame, which would be near impossible. This means that if I want to show off any fancy projection mapping, all the detailed stuff needs to be done at the beginning, when I've had plenty of prep time to get the object into exactly the right place it needs to be. After I move it, I obviously won't be able to go through all the trouble of setting it up and testing it in the middle of the performance. It may be possible to do if I disguise it cleverly by using elements to tell me where I need to place the object which would be used as part of the story, or I could just keep the object there for the entire story. The mask I used in a previous test has proven to be an excellent prop for projection mapping, I could give it an entire personality with this.

I really think what I'm doing here is quite unique, but hopefully that's because it's original, not because it's impossible. Projecting vague shapes rather than detailed designs onto my body should allow me to make small mistakes without it being obvious. Another possibility is to use a very bold, cartoony outline which overlaps the outside of my body and the inside so I have a larger room for error. The final test I will do is where I will see if I can animate and perfect the synchronization of a short sequence, if I succeed then I will be able to incorporate myself into the animation, if I fail then I will have to base the story around still objects.

No comments:

Post a Comment